Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Tilley Distribution carries diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) that meets tightened EPA emission levels while providing the power and fuel efficiency needed by fleet managers and owner-operators. If you are searching for DEF that is free of impurities, works as intended and always arrives on time and on spec, Tilley is your solution.
Tilley carries ISO 22241 spec DEF that has been manufactured by Colonial Chemical Company, a valuable partner and first producer of API-certified DEF in the United States. As a leader in the production and distribution of DEF, Tilley and Colonial Chemical Company are committed to providing you with quality DEF that will strengthen your supply chain.
We distribute DEF across North America in the following units:
- 330-gallon totes
- 55-gallon drums
- 2.5-gallon jugs
- 4×1 gallon cases
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid?
Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is a high purity solution of urea in de-ionized water (32.5 percent) used to chemically reduce NOx emissions from vehicles powered by diesel engines. DEF is contained in a separate tank and sprayed into the exhaust gases; you should never fill a diesel fuel tank with DEF.
Your DEF consumption will be approximately 2 to 4 gallons per 100 gallons of diesel used. DEF is shelf-stable for 18 months, non-toxic, not explosive, does not burn and is not harmful to humans and animals.
Tips to Handle Diesel Exhaust Fluid Properly
Follow these safety tips to ensure proper handling of DEF:
- Only fill DEF into the DEF tank; the blue cap will be marked with “DEF.”
- Use dedicated equipment for DEF and regularly clean the equipment.
- If overheated, DEF containers can be placed in cold, standing water.
- Make sure to store DEF in an area that doesn’t get below 12°F, as this is its freezing point.
- Only use DEF that has been delivered in dedicated, sealed packages designed for DEF.
- Do not fill DEF into the diesel fuel tank and vice versa.
- You do not need to wear protective gear, but you should always avoid getting DEF on your clothes and skin. If you spill DEF on yourself or surroundings, remove it using water.
- Do not use DEF when mixed with water or other substances, especially diesel fuel. Cross-contamination can be dangerous.
Tilley True® Commitment to Quality
Tilley is here to support you with quality services, company-owned and operated assets, extensive inventory and an experienced team of supply chain and logistics professionals. Our commitment to our products, customers and assets has also allowed Tilley to receive inclusion in the ExxonMobil Circle of Excellence. Whether you are searching for 1,000 gallons of diesel exhaust fluid or 10,000, we’re here to strengthen your supply chain.
Talk to a Tilley team member today.